Monday, July 28, 2008

STILL.




My apologies for being so tardy of late..........it seems I'm eternally confronted by the waring factions of art and commerce. Though, for the life of me, I have no idea why that should be. I've never been one so ultimately jaded by the belief that all artist's are in the end, whores. I think, that if you believe that, then for you, it is so. Your art is based on the assumption that by putting a price on something it somehow debases it.


The sacred and the profane exist side by side and depending on where you chose to place your emphasis, there you are.


Anyway, I've been struggling through the arrival of the so-called "dog days" of summer....for some, a blessing, for those like me, well, if not a curse, then reeeally close. The commissioned work is nearly finished, and as usual, I fret and pace over making clear time to work further on the closing chapter of my furious, insane, rebellious, and utterly un-movie-make able book. No action figures, no video game on the horizon for this fabulous beast of legend.


Health revelations and struggles aside, it seems with the heat and humidity, things have settled into a war of attrition.


I honestly wish it were otherwise, but that's the unvarnished truth........and soon, another round of gathering commissions to further bedevil me.

So, I stay in the shade, and slogg forward just enough to give the illusion of progress.


One pays when one's perspective changes from sinner to saint......a terrible analogy to saddle myself with as I'm no saint....but it's the best I can do at the moment.


Be peaceful and do something beautiful.


M.Z.


1 comment:

dogboy443 said...

MIchael, you are a true Saint in those eyes who know you as a person, have witnessed the trials you went through while living here in Massachusetts. So from one friend to another, St Zulli has a nice ring to it.